Ensures proper spelling and grammar/language usage, consistent messaging, and brand voice for agency and client copy; maintains client style guides for internal use; other duties as requested
- Keeps abreast of client and agency style guides and preferences, updating master documents when necessary
- Collaborates with client services team members to satisfy client requests while maintaining a high level of copy quality
- Provides advice and guidance to co-workers with questions regarding internal and external communications
- Required to use invention and originality to contribute unique analysis and add collaborative interpretation of the creative output.
- Copy edits, with or without backup copy, advertising and marketing materials produced by all departments and in all mediums
- Proofreads various documents following copy changes, design updates,
client revisions, etc.
- Ensures proper implementation of changes/proper versions of copy were utilized
- Reviews existing and new materials for copy clarity and readability, trademarks, registration information, spelling, capitalization, formatting, branding, voice and tone, etc.
- Performs substantive editing as requested for both internal and client copy
- Creates guides and instruction sheets as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years experience in proofreading and copy editing in a professional organization/department (preferably one that is marketing communications focused)
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications (or similar)
- Extreme attention to detail regarding punctuation, grammar, style, etc.
- Desire to engage with projects and people—ask questions, discuss copy issues, and delve into how best to communicate a written message
- Comfort with an “open office” environment and its frequent distractions
- Able to explain editorial marks and suggestions to others
- Proficient in Google G Suite
- Willing to perform other related duties as needed
- Adept at juggling changing deadlines and adjusting depth of focus to accommodate tight turnarounds
- Capable of quickly shifting gears (in terms of style and tone) when moving from client to client and project to project
- 5+ years experience in proofreading and copy editing in a professional organization/department (preferably one that is marketing communications focused)
- Willing to fact check if necessary and if time permits
- Basic knowledge of general social media platform rules (character counts, tagging, etc.)
PHYSICAL & WORK ENVIRONMENT
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
UNDER MARYLAND LAW, AN EMPLOYER MAY NOT REQUIRE OR DEMAND, AS A CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT, PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYMENT, OR CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT, THAT AN INDIVIDUAL SUBMIT TO OR TAKE A LIE DETECTOR OR SIMILAR TEST. AN EMPLOYER WHO VIOLATES THIS LAW IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND SUBJECT TO A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $100.